For those, Who seek Rhythm in their Life

Friday, December 19, 2014

Dear Diary #1 My Village, My Home

Sitting in my room, watching my favorite series on my laptop, I was oblivious of everything around me. The random disturbance of the flies were the only distraction. You must be guessing that this quite mood setting is definitely going to lead somewhere disastrous or unexpected. Well you guessed right.
Enters my mom, a lady in her late forties. She blabbered something, because I had my headphones on. The only words I caught at first were, "Your grandmother.....above....have to go." That was strange. My grandmother was already dead 3 years ago. What is she talking about now? I removed my headphones, and stared her. She saw my face, and said,"I just received the phone call. She is dead." That's when it strike. My Real Grandmother was dead, the one who lives in my home-village. Well, LIVED. You must be wondering about two grandmothers. Well to summarize, My real grandmother gave my father to her sister, who was infertile. 
The arrangements were made. We were to leave for my village by 8 pm. Me,mom-dad and my brother, along with other relatives were en route to the village. My village, the one I hadn't seen in years, Nine to be precise.

The journey was a 120 km far. Until we were on the city road, everything was fine. Though it was mid December, the winters hadn't strike yet. so we were in our semi winter clothes. But as soon as we took the turn for our village road, MAN It was CHILLY... The open area on both sides, made the fog even more dense. And it was a nighttime too. The road was to be a 10 km long, and the night, the fog and the alone road was making us hallucinate. It was something you see in a horror film just before the appearance of a white walking ghost!!! The chants were on a leash. Suddenly a rabbit came in front of the car. A white one, and his ears were all the way pointy. It ran in front of our van for some 500 meters, like it came to welcome us. 

Anyways, we reached there by 11 pm. My cousin brother received us in front of his home. I took a look around. Everything was different in appearance, as I recalled from 9 years back. But then it is a long time too. We went inside. Voices of mourning was coming from a room, where the body of my grandmother was laid covered in whites. All the ladies went inside,and I along with my cousins stayed outside.We looked up to the sky. It was crystal clear. We all read about the village or the hills night sky, full of stars. It was there, in all its beauty. I know, you must be wondering Why I am writing about this, when my grandmother is laying dead inside. Well she died at 87 years of age, a pretty well. And died of natural cause, without any pain. So her death was not a subject of sadness to me. Besides I know I have to help in making arrangements for the funeral ceremony, So I cant cry or let myself sob. 

Our sleeping arrangements were made, and I was told to wake up at 6 am sharp. Not a biggie, as I was habitual to rise early. Next day, after all the arrangements (details I wont bore you with), we carried her to the burial place. The burial ceremony went good, but quite in a rush, according to me. Well maybe that's the way village people do. I was the last one to walk off the place. As I was walking, I turned around and saw her burning one last time, capturing that moment both in my heart, and my mobile (Techno-savvy I am).

We were to leave by the evening, and come back again on Sunday, for the Tehrvi, a feast organized in the memory of the deceased one. So till the evening, I was free to roam around. I went up to the roof. All was quite and peaceful. I also wandered in the streets. The houses, all left alone, and build probably 100-200 years back. I am sure the ASI will be happy to dig up these places for excavation. This was something, something connecting me to the village. I was hoping to see my village for such a long time, and today finally got the chance. These streets, these houses, all was a link to the past, the peaceful one. No words are there to describe the scenic beauty. I know, if you all visited these places, the first thing you will complaint about is filth;Not the city plastic waste, but of village's cow dung. Well that's the way it is, what can I do.

The noon passed too, and we climbed up the van. Though I knew I was coming just two days after too, but this moment, this aura in the air of my grandmother, still blessing me, will be over by then. I wanted to absorb it as much as I can. I took one last good look at the door, and with the start of the engine, I bid the house of my grandmother, because next time, It won't be the house of my grandmother, but my cousin, and just my village home, 'cause I was taking my grandmother with me, in my heart, forever.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Read 2021

Shar...